History

Putney Village has grown from a single residence in the 1700’s, to the desirable location it is today.

William Pitt the Younger lived and died here, surviving his duel against George Tierney in 1798. Initially it was his home and stables which dominated the area. He ran his horses along Tibbet’s Ride, north of the toll gate at Tibbet’s Corner.

• An obelisk by George Dance was erected in 1788 to commemorate an experimental fire-proof house created by David Hartley in 1776. King George with his wife Queen Charlotte breakfasted, whilst fire raged on the floor below. Inadvertent regicide was only avoided by the use of copper and iron sheets between the floors.


The Telegraph Pub 1900

• From 1796 to 1816 a station in the shutter telegraph chain connected the Admiralty in London to its naval ships in Portsmouth.  It was replaced by a semaphore station as part of a semaphore line between 1822 and 1847, when newer electronic systems were installed.

• On the 22nd March 1842, Charles Dickens wrote: ‘I must take a cottage on Putney Heath or Richmond Green or some other wild and desolate place’.

The Telegraph Pub (formerly The Telegraph Arms), was a beer shop some time around 1856.  James-Wigley applied for it’s first inn license on the 30th of March 1861.  Stables were later built alongside.

• According to Samuel Pepys, King Charles II and his brother, The Duke of York also ran horses here, for the prestigious King’s Plate trophy. It was also rather popular with Footpads & Highwaymen.

• For many years Putney Heath was a noted rendezvous for highwaymen. Dick Turpin once stashed his guns inside the Green Man pub.  After the notorious Jerry Abershawe was executed at Kennington Common, his body was gibbeted (left to dangle in the wind), on ‘Jerry’s Hill‘ as a warning to others.

• The heathland is celebrated for it’s large open spaces and clean air. Londoners have visited for generations to play games. The original bowling green no longer exists, however certain private homes retain their own.

• Numerous duels have taken place here, including one between cabinet ministers Lord Castlereagh and George Canning in 1809.


Cricket in 1947

• The Roehampton Cricket Club felled trees to create London’s second oldest cricket club in 1842.  Matches are played six days a week throughout the summer months.

Sean Connery lived here with his wife and son in the 1960’s, using the neighbouring house as a gym whilst playing James Bond at Shepperton Studios. Jason Connery was a frequent visitor to Highlands Heath, where many of the community’s children play amidst it’s splendid gardens.

Advertisements